<VV> Hmmm Vairy Interesting

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Sun Feb 11 19:14:09 EST 2007

I imagine that is because you weren't looking for them with a 20 power glass when you pulled them out.  I had the compression test to back up my supposition.  I was sure it wasn't a piston top because they don't let metal get past the rings.  Valve seat bangs around in there enough to make lots of crumbs.
  BTW Frank, I now have three well rebuilt head$ needing valve seats.  Got any recommendations where I could take/send them without upsetting the national economy?  I'd put new seats in myself except I fear I couldn't get them in straight.          Smitty

Frank DuVal <corvairduval at cox.net> wrote:
  Dropped intake valve seat on #6 is the first guess. And it beat itself
back into the hole slightly, just not enough to seal. I would go with
hole in the piston, but that usually doesn't make noise. Unless the top
of the piston broke off....

#6 is not inconclusive, it is zero!

But I never noticed aluminum particles on a spark plug after a seat fell
out.

BTW, were you starting to change the lifters or adjust them? I like to
take the valve cover off cold, saves fingers, but it is nice to warm the
engine before adjusting valves.

Awaiting the teardown autopsy.

You have my sympathy in any dose you want, you need it!!!

Frank DuVal