<VV> Hardened, (or Nitrided) Crankshafts

R. Stalder stalder at cox.net
Mon Feb 12 16:59:56 EST 2007

I'm new to corvairs so this is my first response to a question on VV.  But I
recently learned some stuff about cranks while building my late model turbo
engine.  So this is what I know, hope it helps.  If your crank was
originally nitrided from the factory, it will have "&" type symbol stamped
on the flywheel end.  If your crank has been ground it will need to be
nitrided again.  Nitriding hardens the surface of the crank.  Grinding
removes the hardened surface.

However, I was told not to worry about nitriding my crank unless I was
racing or planned to due a lot of hard driving.  A non-nitrided late model
crank would be fine for normal daily driving.

That's all I know,
Russ Stalder
Mesa, AZ