<VV> EARLIES vs. lates

Wrsssatty at aol.com Wrsssatty at aol.com
Thu Feb 15 18:27:38 EST 2007

<>Maybe because the late styling was so widely copied.

By Chevy and Pontiac, that's about it.  The earlies inspired NSU,
BMW, Simca et al.>

Not to mention the biggest copier of the earlies' styling:  the lates!  The
lates' styling is obviously derivative of the earlies' styling and just a
modern (a la late sixties) iteration of early styling cues (wrap around character
line; tear-drop shaped headlight bezels ['61-'64]; dual cowl instrument panel;
tail lights; front parking lights; etc., etc.).

As for why it seems there are more lates now than earlies, I think that's
because when Chevy stopped making the Corvair, the lates were still pretty new
and that's what was available when everyone suddenly had the notion that
Corvairs would be collectible.  As for the earlies, by then many had served a long
and useful life and already been recycled into THINNER steel for the lates!  LOL!

But seriously, the lates are truly my second favorite car of all time!

~Bill Stanley