Salvage titles-was <VV> Stolen cars, was: Registering

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Fri Feb 16 00:17:31 EST 2007

The term "total" is just an economic term used by insurance companies.
Loose translation: "total" is the point where the cost of repairs (or
cost of settling claim, to include rental expense,etc.) equal the ACV
(actual cash value) minus the salvage value (what they can get for it at
auction). So cars with high auction value total much quicker. Cars that
are projected to be off the road for repair a long time (high rental
cost) also total quicker.

"Total" has nothing to do with structural integrity being comprimised.
It has nothing to do with safety. It only has to do with dollars.

Frank DuVal