<VV> Re: brake lights 61 Rampie

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Fri Feb 16 23:30:51 EST 2007

OK, here is what was not on VV:

<SNIP>

I had pulled the steering wheel down to where I was ready to pull it
last night but did not have a puller.  Good thing as the horn mechanism
and plates were all badly rusted and will need to be cleaned up.  The
horn tries to blow if I ground the switch so I guess that is the next
project after the lights.

I really appreciate the in depth instructions as a buddy of mine has my
61 shop manual.  Tomorrow when I get home I will pull the switch out and
take a look at it.  I will probably take it apart and see if it is an
issue and if so can it be saved.  Nice to know that if it can't or I
destroy it somehow that I can order another one.  When you say tricky do
you mean little springs flying out all over ? Made the mistake of taking
a washing machine timer apart once, never knew they had so many springs
in one little housing <g>.  Will let you know what I find, thanks again

Rex

Three springs IIRC. One under each of three contacts. Just bend tabs to
get plastic part off the metal housing. Separate slowly to release
spring pressure. Springs are small, not much pressure. I use wheel
bearing grease, white litium also good. Just a smear, don't pack! ggg

<SNIP>

Everything else was posted on VV. The problem was no brake lights or
signal lights on a 61 rampside. He fixed it with taking the signal
switch apart , cleaning & lubricating it.

Here it is again:

 <SNIP>

The turn signal switch is mounted on the side of the steering column. No
need to remove the wheel.

Make sure the connector is plugged in. Also check the fuses, but you
said you had 12 volts on the brake switch, so they should be OK. The
switch mounts with two small 5/16" hex screws. And the small cable that
goes into the steering wheel bowl is gripped by a simple flat metal
spring that alows adjustment and removal at the switch.

The switch can be taken apart to clean & lubricate, but it is tricky.
New ones are available from vendors. Get a copy of the wiring diagram to
see what wires should get 12 volts when the switch is centered and the
brake is depressed. IIRC it is the light and dark green wires, but what
do I recall! ggg

Not much as I see from the 61 shop manual.

The white 20 ga wire brings in the 12 volts from the brake switch. The
left rear stop lamp is the 20 ga pink wire. The right rear stop lamp is
the 20 ga purple wire. The 20 ga yellow wire brings in 12 volts with the
key on to operate the turn signal system, it is switched (flashed) by
the flasher.

Frank DuVal

rchivers at tampabay.rr.com wrote:

Alas no they do not, I guess I will be making a foray into the steering
column next ...
Anything in particular I should be aware of, never had a steering wheel
off before

Thanks
 -R-