<VV> Bias Ply Tires

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Sun Feb 18 19:08:51 EST 2007

On Feb 18, 2007, at 6:45 PM, airvair wrote:

> All I can say is AMEN. Wonder what they'd do if bias ply tires were
> ever
> outlawed? Drive around on the rims? LOL
>
> Seriously, though, I'd think it would fall into the same catagory as
> safety glass. They've allowed the use of that for as long as I know.
> Wonder why they haven't thought about it in that vein?
>
> I also wonder if we will EVER get a repop 7.00-13" tire for the late
> models and early wagons. It should be made with a radial carcass but in
> the REAL proper 7.00-13 size. And NOT as undersized as the highly
> touted
> 185-80R13's we've had to suffer with for so long. I know one of our
> directors has been pumping Coker about it. Maybe if all of us would
> flood Coker with demand letters....

Mark,

I think you know more about tires and CORSA Concours rules than that.

My opinion is that as long as CORSA allows incorrectly-sized
"replacement" tires, no one will have any desire to buy 7.00-13's, even
if they could. As I have written previously, if CORSA would REQUIRE
7.00-13 tires in the appropriate Factory Stock-type classes within a
period of time, perhaps three years, then people could go to Corky
Coker, Cal Clark, or whoever, and say, "Hey, if you'll make the tires,
we'll buy them." Until that happens, don't expect Coker to make any
7.00-13's. I talked to Corky about this years ago, when I was
researching original tires and this is essentially what he told me.

You can make fun of bias ply tires, and I don't care what the
construction of the tire is, but they were the original size tires and
I'll bet you'll find original size tires on any concourse car in an
AACA show - except for a late-Corvair. It seems to me as though this
sort of makes Corvair guys and/or CORSA somewhat of a laughing stock of
the marques.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
President, CORSA South Carolina