<VV> crankshaft cracking - breaking nore

BBRT chsadek at comcast.net
Sun Feb 18 20:37:28 EST 2007

 I suggest Porsche is not the best example of large journal radius. The
other pictures are better.
The Porsche cranks have a main journal for each throw, narrower bearings and
small radii on the journals. It is the decision to provide one rod per
journal between main journals living with thin bearings and w/  thin block
web structures plus other aspects, such as heavy but balanced rods that
yield strong bottom ends.  Porsche recognized the hvy rods used, resultant
crank stresses in competition uses and offered Ti rods early on for racing
purposes (and I believe Aluminum too).
For what it is worth, I have seen Corvair cranks break at the main journal
near #6.

Chuck S