<VV> RE: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 25, Issue 72

Regan metcalfre at msn.com
Mon Feb 19 02:06:17 EST 2007

Today's Topics:

   1. crankshaft cracking -

	Corvair crankshafts (8409) forgings have a tendency to crack because
they have a small crankpin overlay due to small journal diameters and stroke
length. That's why the early cranks never had a cracking problem. Also they
are not fully counterweighted like the Porsche so it's kind of like
comparing apples to oranges. Although, as someone stated earlier the
nitrided cranks have a much greater resistance to cracking as the
experimental airplane group finally figured out. I always wondered how long
it would take them. Not to pick on them but when I was building engines back
in the 80s I found that about 40% of the standard 8409 cranks I magnafluxed
had cracks in #6 rod journal and none of the nitrided cranks were ever
cracked. It was quite obvious which crank was the stronger one. I also
noticed that they all did not have the same consistent radius which was
common on GM stuff back in the 60s. I guess the moral to this story is if
you want the strongest 8409 crankshaft use a std/std nitrided one with the
best radius you can find and good luck because they're starting to become
nonexistent. A re-ground shaft isn't bad if it has proper radii and is
re-nitrided but it also has a decreased crankpin overlay.

REM

Message: 1