<VV> salt on the roads

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Tue Feb 20 23:53:50 EST 2007

The problem is simply economics. A number of years ago, I read an
article that stated that salt costs (to buy) about one to two cents per
pound. Yet it causes 80 cents of damage to cars, bridges, roads, ground
water, environment, etc., none of which the salt purchaser has to pay
for dirctly. Environmentally safe salt substitute costs at least as much
as 24 cents per pound, and is therfore too expensive for the road
departments to consider. The public hasn't figured out that the pocket
the road departments have and the pockets that pay for all the damages
is in the same pair of pants (the public taxpayers.)

-Mark