<VV> Salt On The Roads

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 21 22:49:16 EST 2007

                                      B"H

I have worked in government for close to 20 years, and
I can tell you folks that you're absolutely right when
you say each department looks out for its own expenses
and doesn't give a hoot and hollar for the total cost,
although you'd think the City or State Comptroller
would care, but they're so overwhelmed with everyday
paper pushing that no one gets around to realize the
damage salt causes.

It no only destroys roads, but it kills trees.  When
the roads clear up, the salt powder (it gets ground up
by passing vehicles) stays white on the roads and the
dust gets into everything, including the pedestrians
who have to breathe the stuff in from cars going by
kicking up clouds of salt dust.

As far as the cars are concerned, in all honesty,
today's models are much better at rust protection
(they're made of more plastic[?]) than our Vairs were.
 I have seen late model cars in the Midwest rusting
away, but here in the Central Atlantic States, most
rusty cars are things of the past...Bill Hershkowitz