<VV> FW: torque wrench

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 22 23:12:45 EST 2007

Tom Zimmermann pointed out that the manual transmission differential doesn't
have the pinion shaft that sticks out so you can't grab it with a socket .
Our van has a standard tranny and I used a tailpipe expander.  I had a
really small one that just fit and with a slight turn of the wrench it was
tight enough to check the torque  on the pinion preload .  Alternately, you
could also use one of those expandable rubber plugs with the bolt in the
middle  to expand inside the pinion shaft to give you something to grab with
the torque wrench  .

Have fun at any rate!!  That's what it's about...

Later,

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://photos.yahoo.com/duchesskyra
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!