<VV> Eastern Director Candidate

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Sat Feb 24 12:39:56 EST 2007

...I tend to think that you guys have scared off most potential
candidates.   ;)

Not long ago I was talking about this with someone who said "You're a
loudmouth who's always got an opinion on everything, you'd be a
shoe-in.  Why don't *YOU* run?"

Fact is:

Let's say that I haven't a CLUE about the expectations of a
director.  Thus, I would remain ignert about how the board actually
runs and what the responsibilities of a director actually are.   This
is why I, as an unenlightened member of the masses, don't entertain
the notion for a moment of even considering a run, partly because
nobody is gonna take seriously the idea of somebody like ME being on
a board anywhere, and partly because it's obvious that I'm not
qualified simply  because I don't know anything about the board other
than what's on the first few pages of the Communique.

Ladies and gentlemen:

Somebody, perhaps a current board member or two, should step up and
explain, in terms a 12 year old could understand, exactly what a
board director does and what's expected of them.      That way there
are no surprises and no disappointments should someone decide to take
a shot at running.

...I'm not talking about "bookwork diplomacy" duties, I'm talking
about real-world cooperation with current board members according to
rules in place and how to best work alongside what's already
happening.   A list of "generic duties" printed on a page, step by
step, likely won't really cut it.    Tell people what they should
expect if they land a position on the board.    Once the prospects
know what's what, you could well have more interested parties
stepping forward to volunteer.

...there have been a few hints inn here, along the way, about what a
new board member needs to know once they sign on,  but that's not
quite enough, I think...

I'd like to see more interest in the job, with less criticisms about
why it's such a difficult position to fill.   Instead, it should be
presented as a challenge that could net rewards.

tony..