<VV> Timing Question 110

James Davis jld at wk.net
Tue Feb 27 11:28:36 EST 2007

I find the 110 engines are the most sensitive Corvairs to octane
number.  I suspect the problem is the distributor advance rate.  As
the distribution springs go through heat cycles the loose some of
their tension allowing the centrifugal advance to come in too
early.  The 110 distributors, I have checked on the Sun advance bench
have shown about 7 degrees at 2,000 rpm and 13  degrees at 3,000
rpm.  These are distributor advance numbers multiply by two to get
the crank advance.  With a true 9:1 compression 110 engine, I find
the 12 degrees initial is about the max for the 891 cam.  I start the
advance at 400 rpm and look for a linear rate to 2,200 rpm with a max
total 12 degrees distributor advance.   I check the advance at 2,000
engine rpm (20 degrees) and 3,000 rpm (28 degrees) with a dial back
timing light.
     For the record, the Sun machine is not mine, but just down the
road and I can use it anytime for free.
You gotta love the farmers that have a full machine shop and a generous heart.
Jim Davis