<VV> Corvair Ownership

Smitty Smith vairologist at verizon.net
Tue Jan 2 17:03:08 EST 2007

Anybody that has a few bucks can own a Corvair but that doesn't gain them membership to the close knit group of Corvair enthusiasts or Corvair lovers.  You can tell an enthusiast because you will see him at the meetings year after year.  You will know him as a person even though he may live in another city because you will see him at every show in the region through the year.  This goes on year after year.  I am always friendly and helpful to new people in our club or new Corvair owners.  I try to make them feel at home.  But at the same time I hold a little something in reserve because I have learned through the years that there will be those "flash in the pan" Corvair buyers who think they have purchased the last of the most unique vehicles ever built.  They may think they are special and then they find out Corvairs are common as dirt in the Corvair community.  Or they find that 49 year old cars actually have to be maintained no matter what their condition.  I have no
 time for that person once he reveals himself.   The true enthusiast will prevail.  He will not pull up his pants and run home whining at the first thing that goes wrong.  He will instead learn and glory in the unique features of the Corvair and as time goes by,  will share his knowledge with other like persons.  just in case anyone should ask how I feel.              Smitty