<VV> Corvair Ownership

kaczmarek at charter.net kaczmarek at charter.net
Tue Jan 2 17:48:26 EST 2007

I'd like to very carefully echo Smitty's sentiment.

My very first mentor in the Corvair hobby is someone known to many of you, Anthony (Big Tony) Miceli of Independence, LA.  Tony and I have been friends since the day I found him, a couple of weeks after I bought my first Corvair from a Junkyard in Livingston Parish, LA.  I called him because I needed a rim--I drove my car home with 3 13" rims and one 14" rim on the car.  He told me he would let me "borrow" one until I bought a used one from Clark's or somewhere else. WHY?

He'd been taken advantage of many times by various people---his good nature took a beating by the time I met him. Years later when I visited overnight with him and we rebuilt a PG trans, his mom told me---"You're the only stranger who ever came here looking for parts and help that Tony got as a friend too".

Smitty was nice enough not to tell you how many times HE got taken advantage of, helping out someone who never stayed in Corvairs for the long haul--- I'm sure it's been more than once---but NEVER by me.

SOME Chapters are quicker to "warm up" to a new member than others. There's a reason for this and Smitty alluded to a few of the reasons.  I'm hoping after 21 years owning Corvairs, and a CORSA Chapter member for 21 years, and a CORSA member for 19, that I'm considered to be in this for the long haul.

Smitty's chapter started a mentoring program in the years after I left VA and moved to NC, I believe with his prompting. From what I understand it's helpful. Instead of calling unknown members with questions, this is a great way to keep a member working on his car, and a way to find out which club members are experts at what systems on the car.  I believe this is a way to keep someone interested in the car for more than just a "fling" with it.

I have a lifelong friend I met through Corvairs, and I know Smitty helped him with his  somewhat  (it WAS a 64), but he hasn't owned a Corvair for at least 10 years.  He was associated with the club for about 4 years. I THOUGHT he was in it for the long haul.  He'll be retiring to the Charlotte area from the military in a couple of years, I'm gonna find something to get him started on as soon as he gets here. Probably another 64 2dr.

If you think that Corvairs are the only cars that this dilemma occurs with, think again. Sure ours have some quirks that can turn off people, but the bottom line is this happens all over the car hobby, and I spend my work days talking to people who tell me this every day.

Hank