<VV> Corsa Board of Director service - A differing view (Part One)

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu Jan 4 18:51:50 EST 2007

I  had to split it into two parts - please read both - Seth

There  has been a lot of talk on Virtual Vairs recently about the Corsa Board
of  Directors (BOD) and the work load and BS load capacity for people running
and  holding that office. I joined the Corsa Board in 1980, at the first
Atlanta (Marietta, really) GA convention. The Corvair  organization was, at that
time, being run by a paid professional “Association  Management” company,
supplemented by a group of active volunteers. The BOD set  policy and provided
strategic direction to the management company. The problem  with this set-up,
besides being too expensive for the Society, was that the fit  was wrong between
the Professional Management company – designed to be able to  manage any kind
of association, and Corsa, a car club. Corsa was not a group of  businesses
seeking an honest broker to help their businesses grow and prosper,  the regular
customer for the management company, it was a group of individuals,  most of
which had only the love of the Corvair in common. The BOD decided that a
change was needed. After reviewing proposals from several sources, all of which
were submitted by Car-oriented, Corvair-oriented, organizations, the choice was
 made to go with Management & Publishing, still performing admirably. The
reason I brought up this change is that it also changed the responsibilities of
the BOD members, although the BOD was still responsible for providing
strategic  direction. What the BOD members were now expected to do is bring in the
concerns  and desires of society members, (that’s you and me - if you are a
Corsa member),  convey them to the rest of the BOD, formulate any action needed to
implement  requested changes and present the choice to the BOD for approval.
Usually those  choices will result in a policy change, say – adding a required
event to the  National Convention – or adding a requirement that
indecipherable advertising  would be banned from the Communiqué! (ain’t gonna happen).