<VV> Tie Rod Ends

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 4 20:38:46 EST 2007

Hey guys & gals! I need some of that expert advice from the old pros and ASE certified guys about tie rods. I just finished aligning my front end and centering the steering wheel. When I was all done, I noticed that one tie rod is fairly close to its maximum length. I would estimate that I have about 0.8 inches of thread engaged between each tie rod end and the adjusting sleeve. My question is: How much thread engagement is required as a minimum? How do you know if you've gone too far?

  Thanks!

  PS - remember I am a sensitive guy, so make sure you don't say any mean things to me or you'll hurt my feelings.

-- Doug Mackintosh
  Corsa member since 1996
  Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
  Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on