<VV> corvair stories

Mike Stillwell yenko117 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 5 09:44:53 EST 2007

 Great story Harry! In my "Can't Believe That Worked"
file... Way back when I was 17 and very much a
neophyte, I had a low mileage '68 500 95/3 speed, no
front floors, no front brakes, no exhaust - other than
logs. My buddy Bill Elliott had this really nice Red
'66 Corsa that I wanted bad. I did not have any where
near the money he needed, but it was a good deal. So
we hatched a trade of sorts, involving cash and this
'68 500. The problem was I had no tow vehicle, no
money for a tow truck, and I had to get the car 25
miles across town - in suburban DC/Maryland. In an act
that I would never ever recommend anyone ever do, I
simply drove the car over to the shop. I cobbled
together an exhaust. One side was an old trombone
style 140, the other a glass pack on a 110 U-pipe. I
literally put down a piece of wood for a floor board.
For the brakes, I bent over the metal line for the
broken front line and just used the rear brakes (dual
M/C) and the hand brake, along with down shifting. I
think I encountered at least 30 traffic lights/stops
signs. I swear I passed every cop on duty along the
route, but somehow I made it without killing myself,
anyone else or anything else. I guess the worst part
about it was that it was stupid, I knew it was stupid
and I did it anyway - successfully. Which only gives
one confidence to do other future stupid things.
 The car was parted to restore and old racer, which
later I acquired from Bill and I still have stored
away.

  Please no one tell my children...

 Mike
 YS-117