<VV> brake adjustment question

John McMahon jmac2112 at adelphia.net
Sat Jan 6 10:50:06 EST 2007

Hi,

I have done a complete brake job on my 1965 Monza, and have even driven it
up and down the road a couple of times, including braking in reverse.  The
pedal is high and firm, and the brakes seem to work fine.

However, I just noticed in the manual that there are directions for backing
off the star adjuster when installing the drums, and that then you should
drive in reverse to let the brakes self-adjust.  When I put my drums on, I
adjusted the star wheels by feel so that there was a slight drag as I
slipped the drums over the shoes .  Do I need to go back and do the sequence
as outlined in the 1965 manual, 5-5 and 5-6?  According to the directions, I
should adjust the star wheels so that there is a slight drag when installing
the drums (which I did originally), then back off the star adjuster 1 1/4
turns, and then drive in forward and reverse several times.

Thanks,

John McMahon
1965 Monza coupe