<VV> Lakewood Story

Ken Maxwell kobramax at insightbb.com
Sat Jan 6 11:12:13 EST 2007

Hi Fellow Corvairians!

My story involves a '61 Lakewood that I purchased from a local gas station in the early 70's for $75. Yeah, I know that was a little steep back then even though it was running, licensed and titled but I wanted it to make a " 64 Spyder" wagon. My parents wouldn't let me keep another Corvair in the driveway (there were already three) so I stored the beast in a friend's back yard while I stripped out the interior and bondoed the body. It was finally ready for the quick trip to Earl Shieb's for a deluxe $19.95 paint job (Electric Blue) so I hopped in the near bare interior and headed down the road. Naturally, at the first stop light, the wagon died and so did the battery. Amid all the blaring horns I managed to get the car rolling on a slight downhill slope and coasted to the side of the road. It was only then that I realized that the only doorhandle or window crank left in the car had fallen off in the street (and was immediately crushed by passing traffic) as I hopped in and shut the door. I now was trapped inside a dead Lakewood with no way to get out! All the windows were rolled up. I tried to fish my arm through a vent window to reach the door handle with no success. Passing motorists laughed as I pounded on the windows yelling for help (stupid kid in a Corvair deserves it!). After about 30 minutes I found a screwdriver under the seat and managed to access the rear hatch mechanism where I was finally able to open the latch and tumble out!

That car was jinxed from day one. I later lost a left rear wheel while doing 50 mph down a hill (should have tightened those lug nuts just a little more) and had some exciting autocross-type activities trying to keep it sunny side up! I did eventually convert it to a "64 Spyder" wagon with all '64 trim and interior, a 140, 4-speed, all Spyder accessories and even a genuine 64 wood wheel! I even autocrossed it once (big mistake, I'm no Smitty!) I sold the car to a local club member and it still exists today on a back lot in pretty horrible condition. I swear you can't tell the car was ever painted by Earl Shieb, all the paint has washed off over the years and it's back to it's original "Seafoam Green" color!

Ken Maxwell
Louisville, KY
69 Convertible
69 500