towing-was <VV> corvair stories

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Jan 6 18:13:54 EST 2007

In a message dated 1/6/2007 9:10:20 AM Pacific Standard Time,
mioanes at woh.rr.com writes:

This is  probably getting off-topic a little bit...did some towing with a
chain.  Tow vehicle was my 65 Suburban, 6 cyl 3 spd.  Maybe the  driver of
the towed vehicle wasn't that smart, but he let the chain go  slack during
shifts, then the J-E-R-K of it going tight again.  After  a couple of times
towing someone, I gave my tow chain away.

Mike  Ioanes

I towed my Yenko for the first year (75?), (on a trailer), with a 67
Suburban 3-door (One on left, two on the right) It had a powerful 307 2-barrel  and
the Granny-low 4-speed. Best of all it had 4-wheel drum brakes, non-power
assisted! I can't repeat exactly what I used to call them. But I remember  braking
on a downhill section coming up to a red light, on the way home from  Sears
Point. Both feet on that brake pedal, one eye looking left and, if  possible,
one looking right - as I eased through the red light and into about  the middle
of the intersection before I could get the rig halted. I started  interviews
for a new tow vehicle the next day! - Seth  Emerson