<VV> VV Mufflers Cheapskates and crap on the car...

john jncmiller at mchsi.com
Sun Jan 7 15:22:20 EST 2007

It is my  understanding from past discussions (read that - don't know this to be a  fact) that the side exit exhaust is to reduce the chance of fumes being sucked back into the heater through the fresh air grill on top.   Further, that straight out the back exhaust (at least a portion) can be  sucked forward and into the engine compartment - and hence into the heater  system. JR.
But he said the tip, although going straight out the back, had a turn down, like the Turbo tip. It should work as well as the Turbo does.  (As long  as "drop off/angle chrome cut tailpipe" means it looks like a turbo!)
By  the way, I think the deflection angle is to keep exhaust crap from ending up on  the rear end of the car. We all know how well that works!  - Seth

Yep....heard it all before...suppose it "might be" possible but cannot fathom how, as the rear outlet is just that.(I realize there is the "Twilight Zone" factor to consider on a Corvair where physics are a mystery.) The air exits at that point. I have yet to see any impericle data to support how this could happen.  I suppose if you sat at idle long enough some fumes could enter but I don't see why it would be different for the turbo model which did have this type or the 60 model which also does. Either way I am certain this is a less likely manner, than that of a deteriorated manifold gasket.  I have personally filed this under Corvair myths. Asthetically I like my end result. My point was a good sounding exhaust whether you go side out or not, and I thought I pointed that out. Finally, since these supposed to be unsafe at any speed so what's the risk? Ok, like they say on Mythbusters ...don't try this at home....we are what you call "professionals" GGGG !

John Miller
Iowa
And crap on the back of my car?  We don't, as a rule, here in Iowa shortcut through the hoglot in a car. That is just another myth.....