<VV> VV Muffler project for a cheapskate

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Jan 7 23:29:00 EST 2007

Airflow is not always a logical straightforward line of flow. This is
why wind tunnels are used to study the way an object affects airflow.
The back of Corvairs used to be black in the days before Viton o-rings
as most of them leaked oil. The oil was sucked back onto the rear panel.
Same with station wagons, they suck exhaust in the rear window
(backlight), or even non-Corvair sedans if the trunk is not closed. An
early has vents in the engine lid very close to the break point of the
lid to rear panel line. So it IS possible to suck exhaust in under the
right air flow conditions.  Since the turbo models have the exhaust in
the rear, even on earlies, I would not be concerned if John's exhaust
was similar.

Remember how planes fly. The path over the wing is not the same as under
the wing, therefore lift due to pressure differential. Car bodies have
similar airflow disruptions and can have pressure differentials. Wind
tunnel testing could be the answer. Anyone have access to a car sized one?

Just goes to show one must not operate a Corvair with the rear lights
missing! :-)

Frank DuVal