<VV> Re: VV> VV Muffler project for a cheapskate

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Mon Jan 8 00:35:46 EST 2007

> >Huh!?!
> >
> >How does the exhaust get sucked forward? If the car is moving forward there
> >will be sufficient airflow over the deck lid to prevent any exhaust from
> >flowing  forward. If the car is still, the chance of exhaust flowing
> >forward is the
> >same  if the exit is in the rear or the side. Now if the car is going
> >backward, now  you might be able to get some exhaust into the inlet.
> >
> >Ned

Now Ned, I'm no aerodynamicist but I know when you have a big aft facing flat area like the back of a Corvair (and most cars), you're going to have a nice area of dead, recirculating air there.  Now the chances of the exhaust finding its way back up the hood to the inlet grill is small but if your lid seal is bad or there's some other leak, it just might find its way in.  Unlikely but possible.  You've got that (highly flammible) fan sucking away so the engine compartment could be at lower pressure than the rear of the car.  Shooting out the side though, the exhaust should pretty much avoid that dead air zone, at least until it's far enough back to be OK.  You know what we need?  A wind tunnel test.  We've got one big enough for a full size car here at Langley so I'll get working on that right away!  ;)

mike