<VV> RE: aero data

Steven R. Marti srmarti at netzero.net
Mon Jan 8 23:05:57 EST 2007

I recall  the caption under of photo in an aerodynamics book I had at work.
"corvair  in the Convair wind tunnel."   So somewhere out there is ( or
used
to be ) actual wind tunnel data.

These days we could more  probably learn about as much with the right
instrumentation and careful  road testing.

"GM did do wind tunnel testing on the 60 and I have some of it, too little.

There are several wind tunnels that can be used for automobiles and even
some
that are exclusively used for cars. I friend of mine from college worked in
the  GM tunnel.

I have done "coast down" tests to estimate the drag of the Corvair using a
G-Tech. Haven't figured out how to measure lift on the road, yet...

Ned"

Picture I saw was of a late model.    Lift measurements?   Hmmm.  First wild
idea would be to dynamically measure ride height or suspension travel front
and rear.   You could measure weight vs. height change at rest, then measure
the average height on suspension position with sort variety on measurement
system.   Might be electromechanical, position servos, optical rangefinder
etc.

Steve