<VV> Brake Bleeder is Broken

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Jan 9 01:04:11 EST 2007

In a message dated 1/8/2007 9:53:08 PM Pacific Standard Time,
corvairdroptop at yahoo.com writes:

I'm in  the middle of a disaster.

I was bleeding my brakes and while  re-tightening the brake bleeder it began
to crack the surrounding metal, which  fell to the garage floor. This broken
metal included the threads for the  bleeder, which is now impossible to
reposition. The brakes are now completely  useless.

So it seems I need a new backing plate? Is that the correct  term for this
part? A friend of mine tells me it's the "flange plate." I'm not  even aware of
the name of this thing. The brake hose and the bleeder valve  obviously attach
to it.

Replacing it will probably be the greatest  headache of my life.

Matt
1968 Monza 110  Convertible

Matt - I think the only thing you could have broken is the wheel cylinder.
That is what the bleeder screws into. Is it a front or rear? It is held in
place by small bolts through the backing plate. If it has a hose going  straight
into it, then it must be a front. The rears have a tube going in, with  a hose
feeding the trailing arm. The wheel cylinders are available - easily from
the Corvair vendors, a bit harder from the local parts stores. It isn't really
too hard to replace, but it is messy - make sure to keep the linings clean! -
Seth