<VV> Hot engine question - no Corvair, maybe

TimogensTurbo at aol.com TimogensTurbo at aol.com
Tue Jan 9 20:01:32 EST 2007

In a message dated 1/9/2007 3:17:21 PM Pacific Standard Time,
gyoungwolf at earthlink.net writes:

> This is a speed shop built Ford 351C with a big cam and compression of
> about 11.5 to 1.  It has about 3,000 miles on the rebuild. It starts up fine and
> runs like crazy, but it will not turn over fast enough (or not at all) to
> start when hot. I have installed a new high torque starter (which helped some)
> and a 900 amp battery to no avail. Once it cools off, it fires right up. The
> timing has been checked by a couple of repair shops. The last place loosened
> the valves a bit, but no change. Any thoughts? Thanks,

Same as any engine.....you've got a known  good starter / battery......

1  Check AMPS drawn by the starter during HOT crank

2  Check Voltage at EVERY connection point in the start system...

3   if there's a reasonable amount of amps drawn..no voltage drops.......then
the engine was assembled to tight [ clearances ]

Matt Nall...west coast
http://members.aol.com/patiomatt
lots of info!