<VV> Important: HB 2465 - Annual Fees & Inspections for Antiques

Jim Bannister jimster1 at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 11 04:23:48 EST 2007

Virginia residents, check this out.  It came to me via the Cadillac forum
but is just as valid for Vairists.

Jim B.

  _____

Car friends:

For those of us in the Commonwealth of Virginia -
call, e-mail or write to the Delegate listed
below with your disgust and dissatisfaction
regarding this measure. The more of us who write
in to Mr. Marshall reduce the chances that such a
bill will come to pass. While bills have been
submitted to restrict the use of Antique plates
and in some cases reduce their abuse, no measure
up until now has been so destructive to the collector car community.

While the annual registration fee goes without
saying, I cannot stress how irrelevant an
inspection of an antique car is to the lube
jockey with his inspectors license. These two
measures are really just pure pork barrel
nonsense sure to disgust the inspector for the
time he will have to waste, not to mention that
of the inspectee with all revenues going to VA.

This message came to me from the Car Club Council
of Central VA's director, Fred Fann. I urge all
car clubs in our area to give Fred and his group
our support, since they are at the vanguard of
preventing unnecessary legislation. http://www.carclubc
<http://www.carclubcouncil.com/> ouncil.com/

>Fellow Car Hobbyists,
>
>I promised I would email when I learned about
>Delegate Danny Marshall's bill to change antique
>vehicle registration. A link to HB 2465 is here
>http://leg1. <http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?071+sum+HB2465>
state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?071+sum+HB2465

>The bill summary is here: License plates for
>antique motor vehicles and antique trailers;
>penalties. Restricts issuance of antique plates
>to persons who own or use another vehicle;
>changes the $10 fee from a one-time fee to an
>annual fee; corrects the dates for metal tabs;
>limits issuance of vintage plates with the same
>numbers to first-time applicants; prohibits
>commercial use of antique vehicles and antique
>trailers; limits use of these vehicles to
>carrying or transporting passengers, personal
>effects or other antique motor vehicles being
>transported for show purposes but allows
>vehicles to be used for general transportation
>purposes, subject to certain existing
>requirements; requires annual safety inspections
>of these vehicles and trailers manufactured in
>model year 1932 and later; establishes a Class 3
>misdemeanor penalty for violations of this act
>and requires the Department of Motor Vehicles to
>revoke and not reinstate the owner's privilege
>to register the vehicle with antique license
>plates for a period of five years; extends the
>compliance date to January 1, 2008, for those
>issued antique plates prior to July 1, 2007.
>
>This bill will do the two things that your
>representatives on the DMV Task Force worked hard to stop:
>1. Annual fees for antiques - the $10
>annual fee is to get their foot in the door so
>they can raise the fee later. It would also
>change the law so localities would be able to charge an annual fee.
>2. Inspections - Marshall's bill provides
>for inspections for all vehicles back to 1932 -
>the year Virginia began safety inspections for vehicles.
>
>I cannot express how angry I am about this. We
>met in good faith with DMV, Marshall, DEQ, AG
>office and many others. Then they met without us
>and this is the result. We need to work hard to
>defeat this measure. I asked Marshall at both
>Task Force meetings where were the people who
>represent the inspectors. I know many businesses
>that do inspections that will not inspect older
>vehicles. I've heard that the State Police are
>not in favor of inspections for older vehicles.
>Inspections for antiques would be a true mess.
>
>I have called DMV to get their opinion on this
>and to find out if they endorse HB 2465. I am
>also going to find out when this bill will be
>heard in sub-committee and I plan to be there to
>speak against it. I will email when this bill
>has been assigned to the House Transportation
>sub-committee so that you can contact the
>members and ask them to vote against this measure.
>
>This is one of the worst pieces of legislation
>I've ever seen. Marshall has ignored the wishes
> [...]

_________________________________
Cheers-

William "Chip" Lamb
West of Sweden SAAB
Richmond, VA.
http://www.wmsbrg. <http://www.wmsbrg.com/sweden/> com/sweden/
TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyNDQ1NzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTI2MTgxBG1zZ0lkAzk5MzcxBHN
lYwNmdHIEc2xrA3Z0cGMEc3RpbWUDMTE2ODQ5OTAxMQR0cGNJZAM5OTM3MQ-->  in this
topic (1)
NzE0BGdycElkAzEyNDQ1NzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTI2MTgxBG1zZ0lkAzk5MzcxBHNlYwNmdHIE
c2xrA3JwbHkEc3RpbWUDMTE2ODQ5OTAxMQ--?act=reply&messageNum=99371> Reply (via
web post) | Start
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thecml/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJldms4dmRlBF9TAzk3MzU5
NzE0BGdycElkAzEyNDQ1NzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTI2MTgxBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3Rp
bWUDMTE2ODQ5OTAxMQ-->  a new topic

Messages
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thecml/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJlcDlsZWphBF9TAzk3
MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyNDQ1NzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTI2MTgxBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA21zZ3ME
c3RpbWUDMTE2ODQ5OTAxMQ-->

To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: thecml-unsubscribe at YahooGroups.com

DQ1NzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTI2MTgxBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2dmcARzdGltZQMxMTY4NDk5MDEx>
Yahoo! Groups
Change
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thecml/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJmOXV2ZXZwBF9TAzk3MzU5
NzE0BGdycElkAzEyNDQ1NzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTI2MTgxBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA3N0bmdzBHN0
aW1lAzExNjg0OTkwMTE->  settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch
<mailto:thecml-digest at yahoogroups.com?subject=Email%20Delivery:%20Digest>
delivery to Daily Digest | Switch
<mailto:thecml-traditional at yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Forma
t:%20Traditional>  format to Traditional
Visit
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thecml;_ylc=X3oDMTJkNGxtaXFsBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0B
GdycElkAzEyNDQ1NzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTI2MTgxBHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA2hwZgRzdGltZQMxM
TY4NDk5MDEx>  Your Group | Yahoo! Groups <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>
Terms of Use | Unsubscribe
<mailto:thecml-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com?subject=>

Recent Activity

*                           2

New
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thecml/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmZmRhYmpkBF9TAzk3M
zU5NzE0BGdycElkAzEyNDQ1NzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTI2MTgxBHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJzB
HN0aW1lAzExNjg0OTkwMTE->  Members

Visit
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thecml;_ylc=X3oDMTJlcGZxdnZiBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0B
GdycElkAzEyNDQ1NzMEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MTI2MTgxBHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDM
TE2ODQ5OTAxMQ-->  Your Group

New Message Search

Find the message you want faster. Visit your group to try out the improved
message search.

Share feedback on the new changes to Groups

.

<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1244573/grpspId=1705126181/msgId
=99371/stime=1168499011>