<VV> Pre-oiling of motors

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu Jan 11 19:14:20 EST 2007

In a message dated 1/11/2007 2:15:49 PM Pacific Standard Time,
kwoodke at comcast.net writes:

So I am  carrying on and will let you know in the end how it works, keep up
the  input.
Keith Woodke

Keith. In the last 10 years or so, the Corvair engines I have built or
installed have been for racing cars, usually with front mounted coolers and,
often, front mounted filters. With the long AN -10 hose (about half inch true
inside diameter, that is a lot of area to fill before pressure starts going to
the bearings. The race cars I build always have a separate ignition toggle
switch - separate from the cranking switch. At installation, I remove the
distributor - or just leave it out - and drop in the stripped distributor, which
acts as a handy pre-oiler. I crank the heavy duty drill up until the 20 PSI
indicator light on the motor blinks off. That means the system is pressurized.
Then I crank the motor over using the remote starter switch a bit, not to exceed
 the cranking times recommended. - Still no ignition on, of course. And I
start  up the oil pump with the drill. This pressurized all the nooks and
crannies  inside the motor, since it is rotating the crank feed holes and sending
higher  than normal cranking PSI into the motor. When I am satisfied that most of
the  areas are pretty much covered - I have no illusions that all of the
lifters are  filled up - I stop the motor. Replace the distributor - in the
correct position.  And go ahead with the rest of the installation. For regular
start-ups -most race  engines sit a few weeks between runnings -  I turn the
ignition off and  crank it until the 20 PSI switch goes out, stop, turn on the
electric pump  until the pump is loaded up, turn on the ignition and start the car.
- It  works for me - in, admittedly, a pretty specialized application. Seth
Emerson