<VV> RE: HB 2465 - Annual Fees & Inspections for Antiques

Mike Stillwell yenko117 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 12 09:42:31 EST 2007

 The problem here in Virginia with Antique tags is the
recent proliferation of cars that technically are
eligible for antique tags, but are not being used for
collector type purposes. I'm noticing a ton of late
70's Monte's, Ford trucks and Caprices's that are
looking mighty haggard on the road - running with
antique tags. Why? It's over 25 y.o., so they can get
the tags and avoid the inspection. This presents a
problem for those of us that follow the letter of the
law. I have a car that runs on CAM2 and sits 3 inches
off the floor. I drive it on the street, maybe 20
miles a year, to keep the lubricants churned and the
gas in the carbs fresh, between track events. Do you
think I'm going to let the local sticker jockey tear
into it so I can do that? Sorry to say, but most of
the inspectors around here, do not want to touch
anything old, or they are well known for drumming up
business at inspection time. One A-hole charged my
wife 20 dollars to adjust the rear brakes on our
Nini-van last year. I called and asked if there was
something wrong with the self adjusters, "well, gee,
no...", then why did you have to adjust them? She had
already paid the bill so that ship had sailed.
  There's not much I miss about Maryland, but the lack
of car inspections is one!

 Mike
 YS-117, etc..