<VV> RE: HB 2465 - Annual Fees & Inspections for Antiques

George Jones georgedjones at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 13:25:48 EST 2007

Yea, VA has it's problems with inspection mechanics (just ask Smitty about
his most recent attempt at getting Spike inspected), but, as with anything,
you have to find a good one and keep in touch with him. When I had my '68
Monza inspected the first time, I took it to a Chevron station around the
corner (just moved into the area) because a neighbor recommended them. I
watched the mechanic do three inspections before I gave the station my keys.
The guy was clean and  used gloves. He also use protective plastic on the
interior, and best of all, he did a complete inspection, and didn't have a
problem with me watching him do the inspection. I did have to show him how
to use the emergency brake though. We struck up a good relationship and when
the Chevron closed down, he was kind enough to call me and tell me where he
was now employed. He never failed my car, but he would always pull me aside
and tell me when the brake linings were pushing the limit, or that my wipers
should be replaced SOON! if you know what I mean.

As a result of this relationship, I trusted him with all of my vehicles.
While I do most of the work on my Corvairs, he would get the work on my Ford
truck, the wife's Mustang and, until recently, my wife's van. And the repair
work was all done outside of his normal day job. Alas, he retired last year
and moved out of state, so I'm looking to cultivate a new relationship with
another inspector.

--
George Jones