<VV> Two Starters...

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri Jan 12 14:18:57 EST 2007

At 04:23 AM 1/12/2007, JVHRoberts at aol.com wrote:

>They do interchange, mostly. The 1960 has the solenoid on the bottom, which
>MAY interfere with the half shaft on late models.
>The solenoid rotational position, I believe, is the only real difference.
>
>In a message dated 1/11/2007 11:28:30 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
>rusecular at yahoo.com writes:
>
>Two different starters for Corvairs - 1960 style and the rest  (61-69)
>
>What is the difference? do they  interchange?
>
>How could I find out the one I have is 1960 ?   :)

A simple way is to look at the bolt holes.    The solenoid for the
'60 is positioned almost horizontally in relation to the starter when
attached to the belhousing.     This allows the solenoid to fit under
the rather deep floor behind the back seat of the '60 model
'Vairs.   In '61 the floor was raised to allow the heater air box to
fit.   The starter solenoid was moved to near vertical position so as
to allow more clearance for the driver side heater hose, seeing as
how there was now room above the starter via the raised floor.

A '61 up starter won't fit a '60 without denting or cutting a hole
the rear floor.    A '60 starter will fit anything if you can wrangle
the heater hose around the solenoid.    The solenoid won't interfere
with the half shaft axle but it will sit smack in the way of the
heater hose.

tony..