<VV> Va inspections a good deal and old car house bill

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Fri Jan 12 18:03:45 EST 2007

>snip<
> This is NOT the first time stuff like this has come up in
> Richmond.   Some of the proposals that have been cooked up were
> insulting in not only content, but in the way that they were
> "sneaked" into the voting process by being attached to other bills as
> "riders" and thus never had the first word of their content ever
> debated on the floor.   Seems like every session there's something
> like this that's brought up.   It's an ongoing gun battle trying to
> stay ahead of the stuff.    Instead of jerking vintage car hobbyists
> around, they should be working on ways to cut spending so they won't
> have to be worrying about raising taxes.

> tony..

The problem isn't the typicaly car hobbyist.  It's people who are abusing the antique plates to drive around in crappy cars without having to pay annual registration fees or personal property taxes.  And it turns out, for a while a cop couldn't get owner information from calling in antique plates due to a snafu at the DMV computer system.  Supposedly that's been fixed but for a while, some of societie's questionable people were using this to aid in their illegal activities.

The big problem is short sighted, nincompoop legistlators who constantly want to throw the baby out with the bathwater because they're either too lazy or too dim to learn what the real problem is and try to figure out a good solution.  The other bill I mentioned was essentially written by car hobbyiests in collaboration with DMV representatives.  It should be the winner if any but you never know in VA.

mike