<VV> Stuck Transmission

David Sallean dsallean at stewart.com
Mon Jan 15 10:06:04 EST 2007

Can anyone offer some advice?  I am a Corvair newbie, learning as I
rebuild my '63 Convertible.

I assembled my powertrain with a running engine (110) '64, differential
and '64 4-speed transmission.  The vair has been at the body shop for 5
months getting some work done and new paint and I assembled the
powertrain awaiting the car's return.  I purchased the transmission for
the assembly, used, from a well known corvair shop, and was told it was
in good operational condition.  I opened the transmission and visually
inspected it for anything broken and it looked good but I am not a
transmission expert.  Now it is all back in the car but it appears that
the transmission is stuck in first gear.  I really hate to have to pull
the whole powertrain and then rebuild the transmission.  Are there any
alternatives or perhaps suggestions on getting it un-stuck?

I appreciate any help.

David S.