<VV> Stuck Transmission

Roger Gault r.gault at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 15 11:07:05 EST 2007

David,
Disconnect the shift rod where it enters the transmission and stick a
screwdriver through the hole in the transmission shift shaft.  Using the
screwdriver as a "T-handle" will let you move the shaft.

The trans is shifted by pushing/pulling on the shaft (1-N-2 and 3-N-4
shifts) and rotating it (in neutral) to go between second and third.
Reverse is harder, it's spring loaded, so you may not be able to get into it
with the screwdriver.  So, you should be able to move the shaft in and out
and feel 3 positions - in is first (or 3rd), middle is N, out is second (or
4th).  When it's in neutral, you should be able to twist the shaft to go
between 1/2 and 3/4.

This is a lot easier to feel/do than explain.  You should be able to tell if
things feel right.  If you can move things fairly freely, you have a shifter
adjustment problem.  If you can't slide/turn the shaft, your trans is sick.

Roger (freezing in Austin)

PS:  Occasionally, the trans will be sitting so you can't get all the way
into one of the gears - like when you're sitting still and have to ease the
clutch out a little to get into gear.  If this happens and you're worried by
it, do something that turns the gears.

PPS:  As for which is which gear, the motions are reversed from the lever.
If you pull the lever back, the shaft is pulled out.  If you push the lever
to the right, the shaft turns CW as seen from the end of the shaft.  So, 1st
is CCW and IN.