<VV> Valve stem seals

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Tue Jan 16 10:59:47 EST 2007

The last digest had a couple of posts regarding valve stem seals; Yes or  No,
 IMHO, the combination of the very effective teflon seals (originals  were
neoprene) and the low oil flow provided by replacement lifters can starve  the
intake valve guides.    The Techlines article was the result  of a question
regarding a recently rebuilt 140 head that had two guide  seizures.  It had
teflon intake seals and about 5000 miles use after having  been rebuilt with guide
liners by a very reputable Corvair repair shop.

On a motor with original Corvair lifters and/or worn guides, I'd use intake
seals. On a motor with tight guides and replacement lifters, I'd go without a
seal.
Craig Nicol (YMMV)