<VV> 67-69 Boyne Directional Switch Repair

LastHamlet lasthamlet at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 19 12:55:12 EST 2007

Many Thanks Bill,
Although, there are two listed for 67-69, there has
only ever been one in those years, the Boyne Switch.(I
am sure others will verify that.) From what you
described, you indeed have that type switch... For
even if you did have the only Corvair in existence
with the Delco switch, it does not have plastic ears,
but little metal rings for canceling.
I read the procedure, and am impressed highly. If one
were going to repair these, that would almost have to
be the way to do it. Of course, it did involve cutting
the two wires, and a soldering gun to re-attach
them... Of course, you could use the tiny splices, but
that is difficult too.
I am sure Mark and several others(myself included),
will be giving this a try soon. I must admit, I am
more than highly impressed. Although, I amy not have
the skills to pull this off, it is good to hear that
somebody did... Seriously, the base plastic of the
switch is the rigid kind, so I am sure you had to go
about it easy.
This is indeed a major break-through in Corvairdom,
for the 67-69's anyhow.
(Again, somebody better tell Jeff at the Corvair
Ranch, he has a bunch he could rebuild, or sale for
rebuilding)
Again, Many Thanks Bill & High Kudos,
Danny Barber <--- Learning something new everyday!!

BTW, the 66's and other years are entirely different,
and have different switches... For one the 66's and
below, do not have the hazard flasher in the
column,,,, at least I don't think they do????

I did post that subject a few weeks ago so maybe it
was me...I have never heard the term "Boyne" but I do
know that there at least 2 kinds of directional signal
switches used on the 67-69s.

SM-15, available from Van's Salvage on Ebay, was the
correct replacement cam for my car.  The signal arm
wouldn't lock when actuated for a turn because the
plastic ears were broken off.  The new cam comes with
the ears (of course!) and fixes this problem.

As I stated previously, after you remove the turn
signal lever, you need to pick at the metal of the cam
post (that has the female thread for the screw holding
the lever) with a small sharp screwdriver or smiliar
tool, bending the edges of the post upward so you can
pry the cam off.

The cam can then be gently pried off with the sharp
screwdriver.  Actually I removed the entire turn
signal switch; it's easier to perform the service.

Rewiring is a pain in the butt because you don't have
much room in there for new wires.  So keep the wire
lenghts to a minimum and keep the soldering very neat.

The new cam installs by simply pushing the unit onto
the post.  Tighening the lever screw will bend the
small tabs back down, locking the new cam into place.
 Make sure you use plenty of dielectric grease to
lubricate the tabs, hopefully keeping them from
breaking...Bill H.