<VV> Early Spyder fuel return

Duane, Jim (US SSA) Jim.Duane at it.BAESystems.com
Fri Jan 19 15:28:50 EST 2007

Hi Andy.

	The fuel return port/line bleeds off pressure.  Look at it
another way.  It's not the heavy handed pump but rather the wimpy
mid-'50's era tractor carb's inlet valve.  I have both the return line
AND the regulator in my setup.

Jim Duane
'66 180 Corsa CVT
Colonial Corvairs
CORSA

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of Andy Clark
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2007 2:32 PM
To: virtualvairs at corvair.org
Subject: Re: <VV> Early Spyder fuel return

Rusty, I removed the fuel return line from the 180hp Cord after
installing
an electric fuel pump and pressure regulator set to 3 psi. I could see
no
need for the return line with this configuration, and after running this
way
for over a year have had no issues.
For those more knowledgeable about stock Corvair fuel systems on turbo
motors, I have a couple of questions:
How does the fuel return port on the side of the filter regulate fuel
pressure accurately. It seems to be just a fixed orifice. Is the fuel
flow/pressure from the stock mechanical pump so high that it overcomes
the
inlet seat in the YH carb, and that's the reason for the return line?
Andy Clark
1966 140/4 Monza Sedan
1966 140/4 Yenko Clone
1966 180/4 Cord 8/10 #60