<VV> 67-69 Boyne Directional Switch Repair

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Fri Jan 19 17:45:48 EST 2007

Haven't yet read all the fellow's comments, but as to cutting/removing
pins, etc. to remove the switch on a '67-9, such is not necessary.

Had my first experience with the '67-9 switch replacement when I took my
'67 convert into the Chevy garage back in '71 for just such an
operation. The guy replaced it by chopping off the plug and feeding the
wires thru, then splicing them back together. When I saw that cobble
job, I went ballistic! Turns out, that's how the factory recommended it
be done.

But it's not necessary. Simply pop off the "C" clip on top of the upper
bearing and remove the bearing block. The steering column cup then
practically falls off and exposes its open bottom. You can then feed the
huge switch plug thru and reassemble the cup and bearing. It may take a
little effort to reinstall the "C" clip, but while this is a bit greasy,
this method is very effective. No butchered wiring harnesses.

Incidentally, I immediately re-repaired my car myself, using this method
(and with the aid of a borrowed steering wheel puller), and sh*tcanned
the new-but-cobbled switch that that idiot, Mr. Badwrench, had
installed. It still irritates me.....

-Mark