<VV> Grant and PT Cruisers

bub049 at comcast.net bub049 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 20 16:03:45 EST 2007

Hi Grant,

I own one of the first PT Cruisers in Minnesota. I took delivery of it 10/04/2000 and it now has 69,000 miles on it. I have put 1 set of spark plugs in it, 1 set of tires and a set of front brakes. This car is driven aggressively and has never failed us once.  I have put a lot of aftermarket modifications on this car. It looks good and is very dependable.  It was 3 degrees here this AM and it turned right over and started for my wife on it's original 6 plus year old battery. It has had, of course, regular maintainence since new. Oil and filter every 3,000 miles, even now that I run synthetic (as a result of the many discussions here on VV). I have a good one. There are lemons in every brand and model of vehicle. One of my Corvair buddies has owned an HHR for about 9 months.  It has had to go back to the dealer 3 times for electrical ignition problems.  It just doesn't want to go to work in the morning. If it has to go back again, he is telling the dealer to fix it or replace it und
er the lemon law.
My point is that every vehicle model, sooner or later, will have lemons.  Remember the tranny problems in new GM full size vehicles in 1977? Rows of new Chevies lined up behind the local dealer waiting for new trannies (including my dad's). Also, there was the 5.0 Mexican built Ford engines in the 1988 luxury Lincolns. Same scenerio at the local Lincoln/Mercury dealer.
When buying a used vehicle, I always take the car to the best mechanic I know and pay to have the entire vehicle examined and tested. It is worth the money. If the dealer or seller will not allow you to have it tested, you need to look elsewhere.  I believe this is especially true of low miled near new vehicles.  Cars and trucks cost a lot of money.  If I see a near new one with low miles for sale, I want to know why those folks got rid of that vehicle.  In most cases, it just wasn't what they really needed or wanted, but there are scary cars out there.
FWIW- an old farts opinion.....
Bob Johnston
Frostbite Falls, MN
CORSA since 72