<VV> No Corvair-Advice?

bub049 at comcast.net bub049 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 21 06:30:08 EST 2007

Zane,

Like I said, there are lemons in every make and model. Both of my son-in-laws bought new Chevy Silverados in 2002 and I bought a Ford F150. The Ford has never skipped a beat but both Chevies have been back to the dealer on the end of a hook. Fuel pumps in both and one had a premature steering gear failure. But, those Chevies are still sweet looking trucks. The last GM I bought (other than Vairs) was a new 92 Blazer that almost killed my wife. The ABS brake system failed when approaching a busy intersection and her guardian angel opened a path through the vehicles so she could get the thing pulled over and stopped with the emergency brake. I had that truck back to the dealer over 20 times for problems before it's 36,000 mile warranty ran out. Radiator. Fuel injector. ABS brakes. But, I still loved it. It was beautiful on the outside. My new 76 Grand Prix made it 8 miles toward home from the dealer before it died and had to be towed back. My new 88 Olds 98 Regency had to have the ent
ire heat/air conditioning control system replaced and the harness for the electric mirrors and the crowning touch was the steering wheel warped from the sun and they replaced that. All these things were warranty work. I only had 2 warranty failures in non GM cars. 95 Dodge Intrepid fuel rail o-rings that failed before the recall came out and my 79 Ford station wagon came with a pin hole in the gas tank.
Am I bashing GM? No way. GM has come out with many, many awesome and innovative vehicles. Reatta, Allante,Fiero,Corvettes, XLR, CTS-V.Will I buy any of them NEW? Not on your life. But I would buy one used if I knew it's history. I feel the same about GM as you do about Chrysler.
I return to my original point which was....There are lemons in every make, model and type of new vehicle. One of my original examples was the 1988 Lincolns. Man, I would be really raging if I dropped the $$ on a new Mark VIII and the motor burned oil like no tomorrow.
We form our opinions based on personal experience and that of our friends and relations. I recall horrer stories about the problems with the new Vairs in '69. Now there are some some cars I would have lovingly cared for and nurtured back to proper operating health!. ggg
I don't want to start a big posting blitz about which car maker is better or worse. All of our original "Big 3" auto makers have or have had quality issues. Why else so do many formally loyal GM, Chrysler and Ford buyers buy Hondas and Toyotas. If I could buy a new Pontiac G-6, or a CTS, or even a Solstice or Skye with a reasonable assurance that it had 100,000 mile quality like a Camry, I would be first in line to buy one. GM cars have always been my first love, but every NEW one I have had was junk.

I hope our Vair friends in the path of the latest winter storm are ok. This is turning out to be a strange winter. Be safe. Peace.

Regards,

Bob Johnston
Frostbite Falls, MN
CORSA since 72