<VV> Turbo Cooling Question

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sun Jan 21 13:45:23 EST 2007

Grant,
    I'm not sure about the factory manual, but the  Turbocharging chapter
(Chapter 33) of the Corvair Basics manual covers this in  detail on page 150
under the section called "Care and Feeding of Corvair  Turbos".
    In your case with the PT Cruiser, the turbo sits  right on top of the
exhaust manifold which completely ELIMINATES the long  piping run that the
Corvair turbo has between the manifolds and the turbine  section.  This has the
major advantage of significantly reducing the  dreaded "turbo lag" that the
Corvair turbo has.  It does, however, tend to  put major heat into the PT turbo when
the engine shuts down so the water cooling  is designed to actually carry
heat away from the turbo bearing by thermal  updraft flow even when the water
pump and engine have shut down.  But if it  were mine, I would still let the PT
turbo idle a couple of minutes before  shutting off the engine especially if I
were using non-synthetic oil.
    Incidentally, there are "turbo timers" available  (already built or in
kit form) that you can add to keep the engine running a  predetermined length of
time after you turn off the key and leave the car.
    If you are relatively new to Corvairs, especially  turbo Corvairs, I
strongly recommend that you get a copy of the Corvair Basics  manual from CORSA
(or one of the vendors).  Of course, I "may" be  prejudiced in that
regard.<GGGGG>
    Frank "if it don't go, boost it"  Burkhard

In a message dated 1/21/2007 8:39:53 AM Eastern Standard Time,