<VV> Starting Problem

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Jan 22 23:59:59 EST 2007

Well, the pumping of the accelerator pedal is to pump the accelerator
pumos in the carbs and set the automatic choke butterfly and fast idle
cam. So a lot goes on the first pump of a cold engine.

Typically carbs drain, evaporate, magically dispense with the gasoline
in the float bowls after sitting "a while" This time period varies with
the car and climate. It is not unusual to have to pump several times on
a cold engine that has sat. The extra cranking time gets the fuel pump
refilling the float bowls. I think the accelerator pumps are doing fine,
as the cars runs after the float bowls fill.

But do check the settings of the choke thermostats.

Frank DuVal