<vv> no Corvair, just wierd

Jeff Clark markii56 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 24 00:12:48 EST 2007

I've been following this one for several years now.
Tulsa's time capsule was in answer to one already
buried by Oklahoma City, as there's always been a
rivalry between the two cities.  Tulsa just HAD to
outdo Okla. City, so the idea came about to bury a
brand-new car in the lawn of the courthouse.  The most
interesting part to me is the contest they held in
relation to all this.  They asked everyone in town to
guess what the population of Okla. City would be in
the year 2007.  All the answers were put on microfilm,
and stored in the trunk of the car.  When they dig up
the car, the answers will be reviewed and the person
guessing closest wins the car!  If that person is no
longer with us, then the car will go to their heirs.

Looking back, perhaps they could have picked a better
car ('57 T-Bird? '57 Chevy Bel Air or Corvette?), but
they felt the all-new '57 Plymouth best represented
what Detroit could produce in 1957.  The city,
Chrysler Corp. and local Plymouth dealers pitched in
to pay for the car, and those responsible for the
"entombment" invested a lot of time and money to make
sure the car was properly sealed in its crypt.  The
daughter of the man in charge of the project has
claimed that the vault is triple-sealed, and she
expects the car, when it's unearthed on June 15th of
this year, to be as pristine as the day it was buried.
 IF the seals have remained intact, then there's no
reason to believe otherwise.  However, knowing the
reputation of 1957 Mopar products to rust out
prematurely, if ANY moisture has gotten into the
concrete box, well.......all I know is, I sure wish I
could be there personally the day they dig it up.  A
fascinating part of American automotive history,
that's for sure!