<vv> no Corvair, just weird

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Wed Jan 24 22:36:11 EST 2007

>----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeff Clark" <markii56 at yahoo.com>
>To: <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
>Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 11:12 PM
>Subject: Re: <vv> no Corvair, just wierd

Re:  buried car, to be disinterred this year

>>Looking back, perhaps they could have picked a better
>>car

Uh, what...?

>>('57 T-Bird?

Why?   At that time, the T-Bird was just an expensive roadster that
wasn't really selling all that well because not a lot of people
actually wanted one.

>>'57 Chevy Bel Air

Yep, just what we need, ANOTHER '57 Chevy on Ebay or BJ.   By the
way, the '57 Ford outsold the Chevy that year.

>>or Corvette?),

...another limited production and expensive roadster that not a lot
of people bought.

>>but
>>they felt the all-new '57 Plymouth best represented
>>what Detroit could produce in 1957.

It was also a *Great* looking car with classic lines.    I'd drive a
'57 Plymouth Fury HT with that gold trim all day long every
day.    Magnificent car.

>>The city,
>>Chrysler Corp. and local Plymouth dealers pitched in
>>to pay for the car,

...and thus a Plymouth ended up in the hole.

>>and those responsible for the
>>"entombment" invested a lot of time and money to make
>>sure the car was properly sealed in its crypt.  The
>>daughter of the man in charge of the project has
>>claimed that the vault is triple-sealed, and she
>>expects the car, when it's unearthed on June 15th of
>>this year, to be as pristine as the day it was buried.
>>IF the seals have remained intact, then there's no
>>reason to believe otherwise.  However, knowing the
>>reputation of 1957 Mopar products to rust out

...just like nearly everything else from that era...

>>prematurely, if ANY moisture has gotten into the
>>concrete box, well.......all I know is, I sure wish I
>>could be there personally the day they dig it up.  A
>>fascinating part of American automotive history,
>>that's for sure!

Indeed.   If the car comes out of the tomb OK, there are gonna be a
lot of people wanting to buy it and pay BIG bucks.   And, that's why
I don't have one because there's barely any way I could afford one
unless it was a real basket case and even then a parts car would
likely bring well into 4 figures.

I'll make do with my '66 Plymouth Satellite for my Mopar fix.    It's
in good company, currently parked beside a '63 Spyder
ragtop...  that's a project car itself; they keep one another company.

tony..