<VV> engine repair question (no corvair)

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Thu Jan 25 11:37:20 EST 2007

I have replaced bearings in an engine (OHC-6 in '68 Firebird) with a good
crank without removing the crank before. AFAIR I loosened all the caps and
checked all of the surfaces one at a time for finish and with plastiguage.
Then with the crank dropped a few thousands could rotate out the old upper
half and rotate in the new one. Piston bearings were no problem but I
covered the exposed studs with plastic hose to avoid scratching the crank.
Used to coat bearings with STP but imagine there are better things now.
Think I used .001 undersize bearings. Ran fine after that & was my beater
for a while.

Padgett