<VV> JB Kwik, was 2007 Rolex

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Thu Jan 25 18:01:44 EST 2007

At 09:47 AM 1/25/2007, Jim Burkhard wrote:
>I disagree... It's not nearly as strong, nor as
>grindable/machinable, but it does set a *whole* lot quicker!  If
>time is not a factor and permanence is important, go with the regular JB Weld.

For my purposes, and for most stuff, J-B Kwik is good stuff and very
worthwhile.   It may not be quite as strong or as hard as the regular
slow stuff but for patching plastics or cementing most metals
together, or attaching things to metal, it's not half-bad.

I use it at work for repairing commercial engineering laser cases and
threaded bosses on castings that get cracked or holed by clumsy
users.   Works well.   Also great for patching/repairing almost
anything made of plastic or composites.   For most things, J-B Weld
is overkill and the Kwik variant, which IS pretty strong stuff, is
perfectly adequate.

No problem here, about J-B Weld having its particular uses, vs Kwik
which is quite useful for the rest of what you might wanna stick
together or patch or secure.   I admit that Weld is a bit stronger
than Kwik but not as user-friendly.    For me, to date, there have
been no problems.   Now, for a serious repair, the Weld gets the
nod... like the cast pump housing on my pressure washer that cracked
because I stupidly left some water sitting in it and while stored in
the shed "around back" the cold snaps froze it up.   That one gets
Weld...  but everything else with a less demanding attitude gets Kwik.

In the case of the Porsche guys buying up J-B, the Kwik may well be
the trick since you wouldn't have to wait for 24 hours before it was
set hard enough to put strain on it.   The Kwik sets up pretty hard
in less than an hour, and non-sticky , as in you can handle the
piece, in only a few minutes.   Weld would never allow you to do
that... and a guy waiting on the Weld to cure up enough to stick
something onto a car in the pits would  be waiting a long time...  ;)

tony..