<VV> B-58A - no Corvair

James Davis jld at wk.net
Tue Jan 30 13:35:18 EST 2007

I spent a several years at Kadena, Edwards, and Kirtland and I stand
by my statement.  The old J-58-1 was a good engine but with the long
ASC afterburner, it did not have the shear noise of four J-79-5's
(short A/B) in stage five.  If you had spent several night at the
"Drummers Inn" in Forth Worth in the early 60's, I am sure you would
agree.  As for the B-1B Lancer's sound (known to the troops as "the
Bone"), a trip to Ellsworth will refresh your memory.
Jim Davis
(USAF 1962-1990)