<VV> re:shift tube

tom zimmermann s10birdman1966 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 30 17:32:50 EST 2007

...wow...nice threads guys!...here's my 2c : yes,clean the inside of the outer tube well,there's old gummy grease in there if you're lucky;one of my spares had a plastic liner,which never went back in..check the inner tube for straightness and if you can find some plastic or copper pipe,cut a couple 1/2'' wide bands to stuff in the outer tube 1/3 and 2/3 the way in for mid-support...a rear bushing will stay in if you dimple the outer tube slightly ;fix the coupling at the trans end as the hole opens up;;I've had tubes that sheared the tab for the slot,fixed that by lining the tube and shaft slots up,with a piece of square stock trapped by the clamp;; as long as 'you're there',go thru the shifter,too...Tom..//