<VV>B-58 (nova ir)

AeroNed at aol.com AeroNed at aol.com
Tue Jan 30 22:12:15 EST 2007

In a message dated 1/30/2007 4:04:47 P.M. Central Standard Time,
jekepler at amplex.net writes:

Corvair  content:  The Air Force Museum (officially, "National Museum of  the
United States Air Force") in Dayton is a VERY nice Corvair trip  from
anywhere in the Midwest

There's a visit to Wright-Patterson for the USAF museum on the Friday  before
the Corvair performance workshop.

BTW Interesting B-58 story told to me my a test pilot...The B-58 engines
were the J-79, same engine as the F-4 Phantom. Anyhow, the engine was very
advanced for it's time and experienced many teething problems. There were more
than a few B-58 incidents where one of the outboard engines would flameout
(shutdown) and throw the airplane into a flat spin. Flying, or should I say
riding, a supersonic frizzby must be very exciting.

BTW2 Edwards uses a B-58 for target practice. No live ordnance, just
avionics testing. It is sitting out in the desert and the thing is in real bad  shape
from vandals. Here's some picts: _http://www.b-58hustler.com/665.html_
(http://www.b-58hustler.com/665.html)